Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist captured during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, can be tried in India as he had committed a crime in that country, Pakistan's Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar said on Saturday.The accused, who had been detained in Pakistan in connection with the Mumbai attacks, will be brought to trial in a Pakistani court, said Mukhtar. India could conduct Kasab's trial according to its own laws, Mukhtar said.
India on Wednesday adopted a wait-and-watch approach on reports from Pakistan that cases have been filed against Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the Mumbai attacks, and 13 others, saying it will comment only after receiving an official communication.
"The purpose of allowing the DCPs to interact with Kasab is to understand the psyche of a terrorist. This will help the DCPs to take precautionary and remedial measures to prevent any such crimes in future," Rakesh Maria, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) said on Friday.
Waghmare had on Tuesday told a special court that she needed a day to consider whether she would appear in the case, following protests at her residence on Monday night.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for his involvement in the Mumbai terror strikes, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 13 for murdering the captain of a Gujarat-based fishing vessel. Kasab, whose police custody in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case ended today, has been booked in 12 cases by the city police and is in judicial custody in five other cases. When asked by the magistrate, Kasab said he had no complaints.
The second dossier is also likely to name Lashkar-e-Tayiba leaders Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah as conspirators of the Mumbai carnage and furnish details as to how they planned the attacks and trained the attackers. The DNA sample of Kasab, which has already been collected by the investigators as part of efforts to prove that he is a Pakistani national, is likely to be given soon, sources said.
As lawyers distance themselves from defending Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab in court, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said that the terrorist caught during the Mumbai attacks will get a fair trial."Of course, in India everybody will get a fair trial," Mukherjee told PTI when asked whether Kasab should be given a fair trial."Every person in India who is accused or prosecuted is entitled to have a fair trial," he said.
Judge M L Tahiliyani, while deciding on the date for the start of the trial, said a lawyer from the Maharashtra Service Legal Authority, Anjali Waghmare, has been appointed to represent him. Tahiliyani informed Kasab that advocate Waghmare from the state legal aid would represent him and another lawyer would be appointed to assist her.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested in the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 2 in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case. Kasab has been in police custody since his arrest on the night of November 26 and has been booked in 12 cases by the city police.He was last remanded in police custody on January 4 for his involvement with accomplice Ismail Khan in the shootout at Cama and Albless Hospital.
"It would be insulting to our martyrs if Ajmal is let off on humanitarian grounds without any punishment," Vaishali, daughter of Tukaram Ombale who was killed during the terror siege, said in an interview to Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna on Friday
The death sentence awarded to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai in November 2008, will not affect any future talks between New Delhi and Islamabad, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said.Qureshi clarified that the Mumbai special anti-terror court's judgment against Kasab will not hinder the proposed talks between the foreign ministers of the two neighbouring countries.
In the court's opinion, Kasab has no chance to reform. What is your take on the verdict? Tell us
The mercy plea of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, has been rejected by the government which has sent its recommendation to the President. A top home ministry official said Kasab's mercy petition has been dismissed as he was involved in waging war against India that led to the killing of 166 people.
Over a dozen inmates of a jail in Bihar are eagerly waiting for the much sought demand to prepare a hangman's noose, made of the famous 'manila' rope, to hang Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab after the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks convict.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who has been awarded death penalty for his role in the 26/11 terror attacks, is biding his time by practicing karate in the high-security Arthur Road jail, a police source said on Wednesday. The lone surviving gunman is currently lodged in a strong bomb-proof 'anda cell' inside the jail, and a process to shift him to the Yerawada Central Prison in Pune is underway.
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said, "Is Trump God that 70 lakh people will gather around to welcome him. He is coming here for his own interests. Trump is not doing the trade deal. He just wants to work for the benefit of America and is not coming to make us happy."
Pakistani-origin Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, sought for his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, has approached a US court for a status conference after waiting for an order on his extradition to India for more than 20 months.
Officials of the American agency Federeal Bureau of Investigation will be among the witnesses in the trial of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist caught alive in the November 26 terror strikes, Mumbai police, which is likely to file the chargesheet in the next three weeks, said on Monday.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the Mumbai terror attack who was held guilty on Monday, is a school dropout who saw Jihad as the purpose of his life.Kasab, the face of the devastating terror siege on Mumbai in which 166 persons were killed, took part in the bloodiest episode of the 60-hour siege that started on the night of November 26, 2008.
This is the second time that Rotawan, now 23 years old, has approached the court.
Kasab's letter has been forwarded by the Mumbai police to the External Affairs and the Union Home Ministries for necessary action, Joint Commissioner of Police Rakesh Maria told media persons in Mumbai on Saturday.
Nepal today dismissed as "baseless" a report which claimed Ajmal, the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks, was nabbed in the Himalayan nation two years ago and handed over to India.
As the drama unfolds in the ongoing Mumbai terror attacks trial, it is intriguing to note that Abbas Kazmi, the lawyer for prime accused Ajmal Amir Kasab, has not been paid a rupee yet. Sources say his payment is being processed, but Kazmi has not received the money in the last two months due to bureaucratic delays.
Lawyers defending the seven suspects arrested for their alleged involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks on Monday demanded that Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone attacker nabbed in India, should be brought to Pakistan to face trial with the other accused. The lawyers made the demand when proceedings resumed in the trial of the seven accused, including Lashker-e-Tayiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, at the high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Saturday asked India to provide access to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for the 2008 Mumbai attacks, to facilitate the trial in the country of seven suspects charged with involvement in the terrorist carnage.
Flagging his stand on the sons-of-soil issue, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray said on Wednesday that if Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab could learn Marathi in a year then why can't Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi who has been living in Mumbai for years.
The sole convict in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, on Tuesday contended before the Supreme Court that he was not given a free and fair trial in the case. Senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, who has been appointed as amicus curiae by the apex court to defend Kasab, told a bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam that he was not a part of the larger conspiracy for waging war against the nation.
Pakistan navy chief Admiral Noman Bashir on Friday claimed that there was no proof that Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, had used the sea route to reach India's financial capital."We have consistent surveillance on the maritime border. There is no possibility that Kasab and his associates used the sea route from Pakistan," he told a press conference.
The lone surviving gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab and slain Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Ismail Khan had planned to strike Raj Bhavan but could not succeed as they were overpowered by the police at Chowpatty enroute to Malabar Hill, the prosecution said on Monday.
Former Home Minister P Chidambaram said the government of India would not file formal charges against Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley until Ajmal Kasab's trial was over. Vicky Nanjappa reports
'As Rana is not an Indian citizen, our leverage on the US system -- whether it's their judiciary or the executive -- is very limited in that sense.'
Investigating agencies have gathered enough evidence to show that Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive in the Mumbai terror attack, was part of a criminal conspiracy hatched in Pakistan, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam has said. Nikam, appointed a special public prosecutor to handle the 26/11 case, said the chargesheet would be filed in a special court in the next couple of days.
Pakistani authorities on Wednesday registered a case against Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive during the Mumbai attacks, and 13 others in connection with the terror strikes. The case was registered on the basis of the probe conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency and the decision made by the Defence Committee of the Cabinet during its meeting on Monday, TV channels quoted unidentified sources as saying.
Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Milind Deora on why he wrote to the President asking that Kasab be executed soon.
Mohammad Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai, on Tuesday once again asked for consular access and legal aid from Pakistan, a top police official said.He sought legal aid for the second time and has been informed that his letter requesting consular access earlier has been handed over to the Pakistan High Commission.Kasab was, earlier in the day, remanded to further police custody till January 19.
When Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Milind Deora wrote to President Pranab Mukherjee asking Kasab be executed soon.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba operations commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, one the seven Pakistani nationals accused of planning and abetting the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, was granted bail on Thursday by the anti-terrorism court in the country.
It was a routine day in prison for 26/11 convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who appeared unaware about the havoc created by him and nine other Pakistani terrorists in the city, three years ago.
On the sixth anniversary of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday voiced concern over the "very slow" progress in the trial of the case in Pakistan and demanded that the perpetrators be punished at the earliest.
Suspected militants attacked a police post in a remote area of Udhampur district of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday night, injuring two special police officers, a day after a terror strike there saw a Pakistani terrorist being captured by villagers.